Tuesday, April 07, 2009

 

For Better or Worse - Good or Bad

This story from Religion News made both very sad and very happy about my church The sad part:
The Presbyterian Church (USA) has tapped a 13-member committee to investigate the place same-sex unions should have in Christianity and wider society and issue a report in 2010.
When one becomes a minister in our denomination, one must answer the following question positively:
Do you accept the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be, by the Holy Spirit, the unique and authoritative witness to Jesus Christ in the church universal, and God’s word to you?
It seems to me that if you do so there is little room in the church for same-sex union - SAVE FOR THE LOVE WE FEEL FOR ANY AND ALL SINNERS. Society may do what society may do, but inside the church, we must follow our holy guidance.

But this part made me glad:
Reyes-Chow said the committee is part of a Presbyterian belief in communal discernment.

"In the end it may take longer and it may be more frustrating," Reyes-Chow said, "but it's the best way to determine (guidelines) for our church."
I do love my Presbyterian tradition of "communal discernment." I have seen too many leader heavy churches go so wrong.

Why do I stick with the PC(USA) - the same reason God sticks with us - I love it.

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory