Wednesday, April 08, 2009

 

Rely on Goodness

I am willing to bet that the average blog reader is not old enough to remember Norman Vincent Peale and the "power of positive thinking." Peale got a lot of grief from the psychiatric community in the '50's and a lot of flack from the "Christian" community in the '70's. He was a tad simplistic on both fronts from my perspective, but as I have watched the nation sink into a state of fear and panic that far exceeds the reality of the circumstances, I find myself recalling 'ol Norm with some grateful regularity.

I really though about him when Milt Stanley linked to this interesting post.
But there’s a ginormous difference between the tantalizing idea that our faith will cause good things to happen to us, and the biblical portrayal of authentic faith: believing that God is powerful and good no matter what happens to us.

The first one is based only on our groundless and wispy hopes. The second one is based on God’s proven wisdom and strength. That’s the point Paul was trying to make in his famous declaration of faith: “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”
I have been fascinated in recent weeks by the national mood phenomena we are facing. I don't share it. I have had my moments of doubt and fear, too be certain, but I keep coming back to the fact that things have been much worse in my lifetime and that my God has brought me through them.

I find it fascinating that the most identifiably evangelical president of my lifetime, Jimmy Carter, delivered the least hope-filled speech I have ever heard. I compare that to the speeches of Winston Churchill at what truly was Britain's darkest modern hour (in the wake of Dunkirk):
Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on thebeaches , we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
Note his reliance on God's good time! And so I return to Peale. Argue his theology all you want, but please do not argue his essential message - There is hope, and God's good time is at hand.

If you are a Christian in the world today, I think you have a mission, we all do. And that mission is to rely on God's goodness and to take hope from it. That mission is to both act and speak with hope. If you have no hope, get on your knees, confess your lack thereof, and ask God to supply what you need - for He will.

Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory