Friday, December 18, 2009

 

Hiding In Your Fort

Scot McKnight penned and interesting post at Out of Ur:
In another context (the summer issue of Leadership Journal) I called the toxicity of the current generation a “self in a castle.”

[...]

Perhaps the most important words in Hart’s lines above are “by overwhelming consensus.” The consensus is so overwhelming that the emerging generation – each of us – believes we can form our own religion. A religion of our own making, however, never leads to transcendence or worship of God or anything like the ancient Hebrews’ “fear of God.” Instead, we tinker on the edge of holiness with the notion of experiencing The Beyond.
I love McKnight's "self in a castle" phrase. It is more apropos than I think even McKnight realizes.

As a child all of us, I think, built some sort of "fort." Maybe it was a tree house, maybe it was on the ground, maybe it was just blankets and a coffee table. I did all of those and more, including secretly modifying my home with trapdoors, but that is a story for another time. We all have that sense, as a child, of wanting someplace to be alone and that is uniquely "ours."

That's what I thought of when I read McKnight's phrase. And as I read his entire post, I could not help but think "How childish."

I think we should pray for adults in the church.

Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory