Friday, September 24, 2010

 

What Does Humility Look Like?

Justin Taylor quotes C.S. Lewis on what a humble man looks like:
Probably all you will think about him is that he seemed a cheerful, intelligent chap who took a real interest in what you said to him.

If you do dislike him it will be because you feel a little envious of anyone who seems to enjoy life so easily. He will not be thinking about humility: he will not be thinking about himself at all.
Humility may be the one thing that the more you think about having it, the less you will have. The more you pursue it, the farther from it you will go.

How much do other people really matter to you? I mean really matter. Not as something you have to deal with, or obstacles to your goals, or even people you politely enjoy - I mean matter - in such a fashion that what happens with them is more important than what happens to you.

Do you have people like that? Here is one thing I think for certain - the rate of failed marriages in this country has everything to do with a lack of such humility. We divorce because of what we need, often ignoring the needs of the other.

Confession - there are different kinds of humility and some of them I am pretty bad at - classic example - I slot people. I have times to be sociable and times when "I need to get stuff done." When it is time to be with people, I think I do a reasonable job of being sincerely interested and I do pray for them regularly, but when it is what I consider my time to get something done, I do no brook intrusion well at all.

But then I must ask if there are limits. There are times when I would never get done those things that have to be done. Probably it is in how I beg people's indulgence when I need to get something done.

Sometimes style matters - especially when it comes to humility.

Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory