Tuesday, September 07, 2010

 

What Tempts You?

Justin Taylor via Ray Ortlund quotes Jonathon Edwards:
Spiritual pride is the main door by which the devil comes into the hearts of those who are zealous for the advancement of Christianity.
Quoting further:
Spiritual pride tends to speak of other persons’ sins with bitterness or with laughter and levity and an air of contempt. But pure Christian humility rather tends either to be silent about these problems or to speak of them with grief and pity.

Spiritual pride is very apt to suspect others, but a humble Christian is most guarded about himself.

He is as suspicious of nothing in the world as he is of his own heart.
Two things cross my mind when I read that. For one, I am not sure there have ever been more convicting words written about the world of Godblogging.

But secondly it gives me great insight into Edwards himself - because I know that the reason I write about humility so much is because it is where I struggle the most.

How suspicious are you of your own heart?

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory