Tuesday, November 30, 2010

 

"Normal" Life

Robert Sagers, writing at Justin Taylor's blog looks at C.S. Lewis and doing the "mundane". He discusses Lewis in wartime:
The students shouldn’t wait for the commencement of “normal life” before they continue their studies, Lewis urges. “Life has never been normal,” he says.

[...]

So keep after it—in whatever you’re doing. There’s glory in working as unto the Lord. There’s glory to behold in the mundane. There’s reason to learn in war time. There’s reason, in everything, to follow after Christ.
I would put it a bit differently - with Christ event he ordinary is extraordinary.

One of the things I really dislike about the growing of church staffs and the increase in "professionalism" in Christianity - and the same thing applies to shot term missions is the sense that we have to do something extraordinary to be a genuine disciple. I think that misses the real vision of what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

Jesus did come to transform us, but in the sense that He wanted to transform us from child to adult, not in the sense that He wanted to transform us from beast to vegetable. Becoming a disciple of Christ is about becoming complete.

IN order to make his point very plain, a good friend of mine asked me when I went of Young Life staff, "What the f&^% would someone with straight A's in chemistry want to do this kind of ministry for - I think your gifts are plain enough." After I left YL, I had lunch with him and told him they were some of the wisest words I have ever heard.

Think about it.

Technorati Tags:, , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory