Tuesday, January 18, 2011

 

But What If They Are Right?

A while back, Christianity Today did a cover story on Al Mohler. It was amongst the blogs that I read, controversial to say the least. Justin Taylor was first out of the gate. there was more from Matt Anderson. Taylor then came back and linked to several other reactions.

I am going to be honest and tell you I have not had a chance to read through all of that material and I have really only skimed the CT article itself. I will admit to it being a bit heavy-handed, but I am not all convinced it is as off-the-mark as the reaction to it would lead one to believe.

I am no fan of Mohler. I have never met him, but I sure have read and listened to him a lot. In my experience with Mohler's work I think this devotional from Mark Roberts sums my reaction up quite nicely:
Before we move on to 1 Corinthians 14, I wanted to pause for one more day to reflect on chapter 13. Paul's meditation on love, though written two millennia ago in order to help a divided church figure out what to do about spiritual gifts, is as relevant today as it was when first written.

This chapter contains incisive correctives that are badly needed today. It challenges those of us who care so much about right theology or right action that we forget about love. Without denying the value of orthodoxy and obedience, 1 Corinthians 13 reminds us that what we believe and do lacks value unless it flows from love.
Mohler is usually right, but he is usually a jerk about being right. He seems more interested in truth than in love, and the two must be considered at least equally.

I know there are a lot of people out there with a great deal of love and respect for Mohler, and as I say, he is usually right. But rather than rush to his defense, I wonder if it might not be smarter to ask questions about what people would react negatively to him, and then examine oneself for the same tendencies.

I say these things about Mohler because I have spent a lifetime combating them in myself. I wish he would spend a few years doing so.

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory