Monday, January 17, 2011

 

Loving Confession

Chaplain Mike shares an iMonk Classic confession:
I don’t like the fact that I can give a really good talk on prayer when I rarely pray.

I don’t like it that I can read Matthew 5:23-24 and, as far as I can recall, never take a single step toward obeying it.

I don’t like that I can sin and then condemn someone else’s sin in almost the same breath.

[...]

But . . .

I am glad for the endless mercies of the Lord, and the amazing fact that those mercies extend to me, today and every day.

I am glad that Christ my substitute took this sorry life, pathetic obedience and lethargic worship and exchanged it for his perfect righteousness.

I am glad that the Holy Spirit is remaking and raising dead men- even at age 52.
What I like most about this confession is that it is obviously an act of love. It is intimate - and it is born in the trust that only love can generate.

Think about the times you have exercised confession in a relationship with a loved one - it requires you trust them, and you give them that trust because you love them and want the relationship to work. They have earned that trust becasue they love you.

We all say we love God, but do we really? Do we love Him enough to confess?

If not, may I suggest that is the confession to start with.

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory