Thursday, March 03, 2011

 

Easier Said Than Done

Frederick Schmidt @ Patheos quotes someone from an AA meeting:
"Church is for people who want to avoid hell. Spirituality is for people who have been there."
He then goes on, rightfully, to confess all the church's wide and varied sins - but he OFFERS NO SOLUTIONS! That's in caps because it angers me. Such writings say nothing more than "The church sucks, but you have to go, get over it." I don't want to "get over it" - I want to fix the church.

I pay no heed to those that leave - been sorely tempted many, many times, but I am smart enough to know that God cannot work in my life in a people-less vacuum. But that does not mean I shrug my shoulders and say, "Oh well, church is just gonna suck." Confession without repentance and at least a strong effort to not sin again is empty and void.

There is only one time when Christ was angry - when He could no longer bear the sin in His Temple. Rarely if ever should we be destructive with such anger, but we are permitted it, it is fuel to fix things. I don't want my anger over the many evils of the church to quell, I want it to resolve.

Or at least I want a church that says something besides, "I'm an a**&^%$, get over it." I want a church that says, "I was wrong - help me be better."

Technorati Tags:, , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory