Monday, April 11, 2011

 

Think "Biblically"?

Justin Taylor links to an article on:
Thinking Biblically about Pop Culture
Look, maybe I am being a curmudgeon here - I mean the ideas in the piece are fine, but I don't want to "think biblically" about much of anything. When confronted with a situation I do not want to have to pick up the "instruction manual." In the first place getting from the book to the situation I am in required so much study and thought that by the time I figure our what I supposed to do, the situation will have passed.

I'd rather think like Christ - that is to say I'd rather be of sufficient character and intellectual development that I can rely on my more or less "gut reaction" to be a reasonable guide. In other words, I don't want to have to figure it out - I want to be transformed so that being Christlike is instinctive.

Now yes, knowledge of scripture is part of that. But then the Pharisees knew scripture better than anybody else at the time. There is more to it than that - if there is not then the stiff legalism of the Pharisees is the only possible result. No we have to let the Holy Spirit work in us - we have to transcend on some level our intellects and let God reach the very score of our being.

Sometimes the best way to figure out how to think about pop culture is to simply concentrate on God.

Technorati Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory