Thursday, November 10, 2011

 

Another One Bites The Dust

Dan Edelen leaves the ranks of "evangelicals"::
The primary reason I’m saying farewell to Evangelicalism is that I can’t determine what it stands for anymore. I know what Evangelicalism is clearly against, but what it stands for is mushy. And in those cases where I do know what Evangelicalism is for, I just don’t see Evangelicals doing those things. The walk doesn’t match the talk.
He lists a number or reasons why this is the case:

While I am not ready to give up entirely on being evangelical, there is a lot to look at here and I think it can be summed up by the observation that Evangelicalism is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Let's face it honestly, we make, or at least used to make converts, but committed Christ followers? Not so much. In the end, Evangelicalism has become the culturally acceptable, at least at the moment, form of religious expression which in American means it does not demand too much of us.

But that is also why I am not ready to leave the fold as it were. If it is indeed the acceptable form, then it is the most ready path to drawing people deeper into Christ.

Interesting situation is it not? Raises one question - where do I get my needs met? Answer: diving deeper into Christ by every means I have at my disposal and finding others. Lonely path, but so was Christ's and the apostle's.

Technorati Tags:, ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory