Friday, March 02, 2012
Be For Something
Pastor Byron Yawn, a self-described “recovering fundie,” explains 10 effects of the “angry prophet” type who defines himself by what he’s against:Let me add my own brief thought here. One of the definitional characteristics of God is that He is creative. It is not creative to oppose something - it is creative to make something better.
- You’ll forget to talk about what’s good . . . especially about Jesus.
- You’ll begin to take yourself too seriously.
- You’ll begin to preach the same sermon from every passage.
- You’ll foster mean people.
- You’ll eventually assemble an audience of self-congratulatory clones.
- You’ll take all correction personally and as an unpardonable offense against “God’s man.”
- You’ll make a terrible shepherd.
- You’ll become the type of person you warn others about.
- You’ll thrive on controversy.
- People will stop listening.
Are we not supposed to bear God's image? Should we not; therefore, be creative?
Put another way, you get more flies with honey....