Thursday, May 24, 2012
- Never attend a meeting without some way to take notes
- Respect your elders
- Learn all you can from everyone you meet
- Keep a resume handy and keep revising it
- Never burn a bridge
- Be an encourager in the organization
- Never underestimate a connection
- Drop the defensiveness
Let me sum this up for you in one sentence - Just because you are a "leader" it does not mean you have made it. In a word, humility.
My youth is rife with making every one of those mistakes, and the costs of them go a long way to explaining where I am now. I wanted so badly to have "arrived" - I was educated, smart and energetic, but I was not humble. I acted if I had arrived when in fact, I had just started the journey.
A leadership position is not journey's end, but its beginning.