Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Myths and Legends
- If I’m not hearing anyone complain, everyone must be happy
- I can lead everyone the same way
- Leadership and management are the same thing
- Being the leader makes you popular
- Leaders must be extroverted charismatics
- Leaders accomplish by controlling others
Lots of good stuff there, but I want to focus on the one I highlighted. If not all people can be lead in the same fashion, why do we even try to do church on such a mass scale?
I think that idea is a very correct one. Christianity is meant to be passed on as an apprenticeship, not a lecture series. So one person needs a few apprentices who then has a few more apprentices, who then has a few more apprentices.
If you think about it, it sort of throws all the other leadership myths he discusses out the window becasue they do not matter anymore.