Friday, November 16, 2012

 

How High The Bar?

Ron Edmondson, on leadership:
I make no apologies. I continue to challenge the people I lead. I expect a lot of them. I try to be fair. I’m a strong advocate for family time. I embrace the flexible workplace. But, I am always pushing people to be better. I challenge people to live up to their full potential and I’m dissatisfied with a mediocre performance.
If you do a click through to his standards, you find:
  • Responsiveness
  • Honesty
  • Respect
  • Openness
  • Follow Through
  • Limited need for oversight
  • Participation
Wonderful and important standards for the organization, but is not the church an organization with such a special purpose that some other standards apply? You see, I think the biggest failure in the church these days is not job performance, it's people performance. Suppose a youth pastor punts a meeting becasue he is sitting with a kid that just lost a parent in an alcoholic car wreck. Do you chastise him for his failure to participate?

Let's take an easier one. Suppose a staff member consistently yells at volunteers who fail to live up to their commitments becasue that staff member knows they will be in trouble for failing to follow-through? Suppose the volunteer's problems are really a cry for attention because of problems at home. Just askin'

I think the standards we must forst hold people in teh church to are a bit different. We should have a different set of priorities.
Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory