Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Defining Who We Are Differently
- Luther saw church leadership as primarily marked by servanthood.
- Luther understood worship as rooted in repentance.
- Luther did not care for the myth of cultural influence nor for the prerequisite cultural swagger necessary to catch the attention of the great and good.
- Luther saw suffering as a mark of the true church.
- Luther was pastorally sensitive to the cherished practices of older Christians.
- Luther did not agree to differ on matters of importance and thus to make them into practical trivia.
- Luther saw the existence of the ordained ministry as a mark of the church.
- Luther saw the problem of a leadership accountable only to itself
- Luther thought very little of his own literary contribution to Christianity.
I don't think so - Luther's concern for accountability would provide for this to NOT have happened. Is it an inevitable result of democratization? Again, probably not.
It is; however, an inevitable result of sin. Sins visited The Church and hence the Reformation. Sin visit the church and hence we are here. And so we come full circle - confession, humility, service - that's where we need to go.
Technorati Tags:confession, humility, service
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator