Thursday, December 12, 2013

 

For Whom?

Todd Rhoades:
Manipulators seek their own best interests while pretending they seek yours. Your success threatens them.

Relationship based leaders seek your best interests. Your success invigorates them.
I have always hated manipulation in the church, and now I think I know why. It is certainly me distaste for manipulation that has made me so virulently object to the use of marketing techniques in the church. After all, what are marketing techniques if not manipulation? We are not interested in growing the church to make the church look successful - that's selfish. We are interested in growing the church for the sake of those that join!

What more - if we need to manipulate people into the church, then what we are offering is something less than the full gospel. It seems to me that if we had the gospel right it would not require manipulation. Its truth and "utility" would be readily apparent.

Did Christ manipulate anyone? Does the simple command, "Come with me and I will make you fishers of men," sound manipulative to you? Whay can't we do that? Jesus promised we could. Is manipulation to God's glory?


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory