Wednesday, April 02, 2014

 

All Of It

Mark Roberts on Psalm 54:
The NLT translates the second line of verse 4 as “The Lord keeps me alive!” This renders the sense of the original Hebrew, though missing the vitality of its imagery. More literally, this line could be rendered: “The Lord is supporting my soul.” The Hebrew verb in this sentence (samakh) conveys the image of placing ones hands upon something. In Psalm 54:4, God’s hands are upon David’s soul to keep him alive, but also to uphold him in a difficult time. God will be strong for David when he is weak.
IN the Frank Herbert "Dune" books there is this interesting little snippet used by a special group of acolytes:
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
IN the godless world of those book it rings hollow, but given the assurances that we have in places like Psalm 54 it rings so true. Faith in God can allow us to not fear - it frees us to reason and to allow fear to pass.

This is no invitation to recklessness, but it is an invitation to not let fear cloud our minds and to make a reasonable judgement about risk. Faith is not the enemy of reason, but rather its companion. It is what frees us from our animalistic instincts and makes us perform at the fullest level of our capabilities. Fear is a mind killer and God is the answer.

But you must allow God to hold all of your soul.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory