Tuesday, May 13, 2014

 

Subliminals

Todd Rhoades:
I have this theory.

The nicer the toilet paper, the better the church.

It works for hotels.
That sort of turned me sour. I reached for my Bible:
2 Cor 8:2b - ...their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality.
My first thought was, "Do you think people really care about toilet paper if they come to a place where there is "abundance of joy"?

The answer is, of course,"NO." But that scripture kept ringing in my head - it is about generosity. It is about giving even when impoverished. And then I found out why I was put off by Rhoades post. He was proposing good TP as a marketing gimmick - comparing it to hotels. We should have good TP, but we do so out of generosity, not desire for more members.

Maybe that is the source of my entire issue with church marketing - there is an avarice to it that is unbecoming the Church. We seek to give away what we have, not add to.

After all, we have Christ. That means we have everything.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory