Saturday, February 26, 2005

 

In Memoriam......

I noted a couple of weeks back that a friend of mine had died. His memorial service was this afternoon so I would like to pay him some tribute.

His name was Charles N. Svendsen. I first met Charles when he was about 78 years old and well into his retirement. His son, Charles T. Svendsen, was my pastor at the time. (I have included middle initials because they both hate the Sr.-Jr. thing) I was new to the congregation and Charles T, having found out about my background, talked me into teaching an adult Sunday School class on I Timothy. Into the first class walked this elderly gentleman that introduced himself by the pastor's name, and soon I learned that my pastor was the copy, not the original.

I have no way to describe Charles N, save as a great man of God. Interestingly, he was a cessasionist, but I'll be doggoned if I couldn't almost literally see the Holy Spirit about him the more I got to know him.

He was also an ardent calvinist. I have pretty much always been one myself, though not strict one. He changed that. It was an easy class to teach because most weeks he brought me a book that gave me the materials I needed for the next lesson. A while later when he and his wife had to move into an assisted living center, he doubled the size of my theology library because he would have no room for the books, and he had given his sons copies years earlier. He introduced me to John Piper who, when I read him the first time, it felt like he was singing to my soul.

Some people you meet and you know you have experienced just a little bit of God. I have been priviledged to meet more than one, but less than five. He was one of them.

His son John, also a pastor and NOT a calvinist, said of him today, "It mattered to him greatly that God is the source of faith, but it mattered to him immensely more that that faith rested in God." I wished I'd said that, and I hope someone can say it about me someday.

Finally, for the service this afternoon, we sang good old hymns. They are becoming increasingly hard to find these days. I am going to put one below because it was just perfect, and because I think it says so much more than a years worth of services with modern worship music.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory