Thursday, March 17, 2005

 

Why Home School?

SpunkyHomeSchool has an interesting post from this week's Christian Carnival defending her choice to home school her children. Personally, I think wanting your kids to get a decent education is all the reason necessary, but Spunky seems to have bigger ideas. She is big into Proverbs
How is a person to acquire this wisdom? By walking with the wise. Proverbs 13:20 states "He who walks with the wise becomes wiser still but the companion of fools suffers harm." As a parent, I desire to have my children walk with those that know and fear God. I cannot expect that my children will walk among fools and become wise. That runs contrary to the scripture.

One is left to wonder then "Who are the fools"? Scripture identifies two groups as fools or foolish. From Psalm 14:1, "He who has set in his heart that there is no God" and Proverbs 22:15, "foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child". Where do we most often find these two groups together?

The public schools as an instituion has declared that there is no God.
I posted last weekend about the 'wise' use of Proverbs. When I read Spunky's post I could not help but think of the Sermon On The Mount - Matt 5:22 - But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

We need to be most judicious when we use scripture to make our point. It is generally wiser to let scripture make a point to us. I am all for Spunky home schooling her kids, even if it is just because she does not like the decor at the public school. There is no need to resort to name -calling to justify it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory