Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Pleading, Not Judging

On Saturday, we looked at Tod Bolsinger looking at the narrow way. Over the weekend he continued that discussion and this part really caught my attention
In other words, to do the will of the Father, it is not enough to simply show up for the sermon, you must live the Kingdom. You have to hear the words and then live them out.

My friends, so often when we hear passages like this one, we hear them with the voice of judgement. It is a stern voice, a harsh voice. A voice of ultimatum. But that is not the voice I hear. The voice I hear in this text is sober, and urgent and indeed a bit confronting. It is a voice that is trying to get our attention, warning us of the precariousness of our position and trying to break through the fearful haze that so many of us live in each day. Like my Father?s voice calling up at me. ?Tod, do you trust me? Tod, if you do, you must move, now, you must act on my words. You must do what I tell you.?

My friends, this is the voice of love, the voice of grace. Jesus looks at those whom he has gathered at his feet, who has listened to him tell of the Kingdom and I believe he says, pleading with us, ?I know there are a lot of teachers out there. I know there are a lot of spiritual options. But, do not take the wide road. Do not build on the sand. For that is the way of destruction. I warn you, I beg of you.?
It has become so common in this age to name truth "judgement" - particularly truth that we are not comfortable with; truth that demands that we change something we do not want to change.

Our faith demands change in us -- and that is Good News. The Good News is not, "God loves you just the way you are" -- the Good News is "God loves you enough to remake you."

Judgement? Perhaps. Truth? Definitley. Good News? Absolutely.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory